Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It's been a week!

Today is day 7 since my surgery. I survived a week of still no eating. So now everyone whats to know how was the surgery. My parents went with me we arrived at the Surgery Center at 530am waaaayy to early I know. I got all set up ready to go and at 630am on the dot they pushed me into the operating room. I was sooo freaking scared. So they start getting me ready and I only remember a little bit. First, they started tying down my arms and then put my legs up in those stirrup things I busted out with a nervous.. umm.. that's not the right surgery. Doc said we got to put them somewhere lol... Then, the anaesthetist said I am gonna give you a little oxygen to calm your nerves and that was it... I was out! I woke up in recovery a couple hours later panicking and going crazy I was cold, I kept saying my legs, my legs, they wont stop shaking then I felt my head had a blanket up there and I started throwing that off. My nurse comes over there telling me to calm down everything is ok. Then I hear, Gail... calm down in a oh so familiar voice yep that's it my daddy's voice. To my surprise mom and dad had been sitting there while I was sleeping. Funny I know. I was on so much medication I barely remember a lot, but the dr. came by and said while he was in there he found a hinea hernia that he had repair. So I had to then drink two cups of water, sit in a recliner, and walk. After all three I was set free. We got home at 1030am. How quick is that. I am still amazed by that. That night was great all of my closest friends came by to visit with me. I love them so. and my mom stayed the night with me. I was just reminded tonight that one of my coworkers called me that night to check on me. I didn't remember much of our conversation. Thanks to some good drugs, but he said he asked me how I felt. I said like a Mac Truck ran into my belly. haha.. The next few days I was in a lot of pain. They say mostly because of the hernia repair, or maybe I am just a baby. lol. It hurt to move, but they want you to move to get better. Each day I made my self get up and walk around. Every night I had visitors that was the best part. On Friday my Mom thought it would be good to get out of the house. She took me to CVS in Callahan to get some things. That wore me out. I was ready to be home. On Sunday I was finally feeling better enough to say I wanted to get out. I went with mom and dad to Walmart and then Josh came over and we went with them to Best Buy then later when we got home Jon came over. The boys wanted to eat and here I am I cant eat nothing they wanted me to sit with them at Cracker Barrell so I went with my shake in hand for the fellowship I guess. This all brings me to today. I had my first followup appointment. Good news... Since July 15th when I started this process I have lost 24lbs. 13 of those were just this week after surgery. That is mostly because I have not been able to eat yet. Day1-3 Clear Liquids, Day 4-8 Full Liquids which is protein shakes, Day 9-15, Soft foods, Day 16 finally I can eat what I want. Still saying on low carb!! Man I can't wait to get there. Today is also my first night back at work. So not wanting to be here. I am still not 100 percent, but it takes time to heal I suppose.
I know this was a big post, but there was lots of info to be given.
I will be back soon with an update.


Here is a picture my dad took of me the day I went for surgery.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! I am hoping to have my surgery scheduled for next month. *Fingers crossed!* It is so nice to know other bandsters and hear all of their experiences. I look forward to following your journey. ~Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that sucks that you had a hernia, but at lesat they found it right? Sounds like you did pretty average the first week!!!! Your pic is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lynn I look forward to following you aswell. Best of luck to you. I hope you get your surgery date soon.

    Liz- It does suck, but you are right at least they found it. Thanks I am excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so jealous! I have to go on a 4 wk liquid diet prior to my surgery date! Then 2 wks of continued liquid, then etc, etc,. But I am glad to hear that your surgery went well, & you are losing the weight great. Keep up the good work. I will continue following your updates. My surgery still isn't scheduled. I am hoping for late November or early December.

    ReplyDelete